Brand or Die!

A Small Business Survival Guide

It's been a long time coming...

  • Posted: 6:40 AM
  • |
  • Author: Mikal J. Caldwell

"Wow."

That's what I said when I realized that I'd let an entire month go by between posts here. It's not that I was lazy (really!), it's just that I've been busy! As most of you that own businesses know, the end of a year and the beginning of another means more than just dates on a calendar. For me though, it was a time of reflection and strategic planning. 2009 will mark the expansion of my business into separate units, one locally focused(KCG) and one nationally focused(brandEdge).

New years always bring with them new optimism. It's like you get another chance to reach goals you missed in 2008. So what goals do you have for this year? Well, you won't get there without a plan. Strategic planning is probably the single most important element for your business and your marketing and brand development is no different.

Examine what problems you want your brand marketing to solve. Then work on a plan to get there. Perhaps you can do it yourself, or you might need someone like me to work on it with you. Either way, you have to have a plan.

It should also have a few key elements:

  • A fixed, measurable goal
  • The larger objective should be broken down into smaller goals, each with its own task list
  • A survey of available resources and allocation of resources, both fiscal and human
  • A time line for completion and component timelines for tasks

Again, be sure to get help if you need it. The single biggest reason I see companies not get the return their looking for on their marketing is the lack of a clear strategic plan.

All I need now is a plan for getting this blog done...

Go Forth and Be Ruthless!

0 people have left comments

Commentors on this Post-